Iran has officially halted some responsibilities under a 2015 nuclear deal with world powers following a deal from its national security council, an informed official in the country’s atomic energy body told on Wednesday.
Last week, Iran alerted China, France, Germany, Russia and the United Kingdom of its judgment to halt some commitments under the nuclear plan, a year after the United States unilaterally withdrew from the accord and re-imposed sanctions.
Under the nuclear deal, Tehran was permitted to produce low-enriched uranium with a 300-kg limit, and produce heavy water with a stock capped around 130 tonnes. Tehran could ship the excess amounts out of the country for storage or sale.
The official said Iran has no control from now for production of enriched uranium and heavy water.
Iran’s initial steps do not seem to go against the nuclear deal yet. But Iran has cautioned that unless the world powers shield Iran’s economy from U.S. sanctions within 60 days, Iran would begin enriching uranium at a higher level.
The European Union and the foreign ministers of Germany, France and Britain said they have still planned the deal but would not admit ultimatums from Tehran.
The deal also caps the level of purity to which Iran can improve uranium at 3 .67 percent, far below the 90 percent of weapons grade. It is also well below the 20 percent level to which Iran enriched uranium before the plan.
Iran suspends nuclear deal curbs in force for getting rid of US sanctions
Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Tuesday that Tehran does not look battle with the United States despite mounting tensions between the 2 arch-enemies over Iranian nuclear capabilities and its missile programme.
Khamenei also said Tehran would not work out with the United States on another nuclear deal.