Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard said on Monday that his country did not agree with the new restrictions on the rights of migrants voiced by the US authorities.
Earlier, the US Federal Register published a document according to which the authorities intend to deny the right of asylum at the southern border of the country with Mexico to those migrants who crossed the territory of another state before passing it.
“Mexico’s position does not coincide with measures restricting access to asylum to those people who fear for their lives and safety in their home country due to the persecution. get into the US across the southern border, “- said Ebrard at a press conference.
At the same time, MFA legal adviser Alejandro Celorio once again noted that Mexico will not agree to be the “third safe country” for those migrants who, for one reason or another, the US are denied asylum. According to him, in these cases, migrants must be expelled from the United States to their home countries.
The president of the United States, Donald Trump, said earlier that the US authorities had planned to begin large-scale detention of migrants over the weekend. The operation was supposed to start two weeks ago, but then the American leader postponed it, giving time to Democrats and Republicans in Congress to work out other measures to combat illegal immigrants, but the proposals did not come. According to Trump, this will affect the millions of illegal foreigners who illegally entered the United States.
Large-scale immigration customs service (ICE) raids against illegal migrants have not yet begun.