Military Overthrows Sudan’s Bashir, Demonstrators Request Civilian Government

Military Overthrows Sudan’s Bashir, Demonstrators Request Civilian Government

Sudan’s President Omar al-Bashir, who used to rule Sudan in despotic style for 30 years, was ousted and arrested in a military insurgency or seizure of power on Thursday; however, protesters’ hit the streets calling for military leaders to hand over the power to civilians.

The deposition of Bashir, 75, happened after months of demonstrations against him. He faced 16 weeks of protest against his rule. Speaking on state television, Defense Minister Awad Mohamed Ahmed Ibn Auf stated that Sudan would enter into a two-year period of military rule, which would be followed by presidential elections. Abuf stated that Bashir was being confined in a “safe place” and a military council would now run the nation. However, he didn’t state who would be heading it.

Later on, it was stated that Ibn Auf, who Bashir choose as first vice president in February while the protests escalated, would be heading the military council, on Thursday. The Sudanese military’s chief of staff Kamal Abdel Marouf al-Mahi would be the deputy head.

Ibn Auf declared a state of emergency, a nationwide armistice and the adjournment of the constitution. Seated on a gold-upholstered armchair, he stated that Sudan’s airspace would be closed for 24 hours and border crossings would remain shit till further notice is provided.

The main organizer of protests against Bashir, the Sudanese Professionals Association (SPA), dismissed the minister’s plans. It demanded protesters to continue a protest outside the defense ministry which began on Saturday.

Shortly, thousands of protestors packed the streets of central Khartoum, their mood turning from triumph at Bashir’s anticipated departure to oust at the announcement of a military-led change.

Bashir has been accused by the International Criminal Court in The Hague and is facing an arrest warrant over charges of genocide in Sudan’s Darfur region during a revolt that began in 2003 and led to the death of an estimated 300,000 people.